Saturday 24 May 2008

Things to do No. 4: do some knitting

For those of you who are interested I have a knitting blog too, its named after a mountain in the Lake District - Nitting Haws - mainly because its a funny name but also because I love Herdwick sheep and their wool. The link is over on the panel to the right.

But I digress from the Pyrenees. In fact, as you may have seen from the article on BBC/Tyne, I am going to try and find some locally produced wool while I am up in the mountains. The economy of the towns and villages was based on wool, but now they are either deserted or rely on tourism. Tourism, tourism, tourism - but may be I am contributing to this dependency to. Do people actually MAKE things anymore, or do we just want everything imported cheaply. What made me mad the other week was finding some yarn in a shop that had been produced in China, finished in Australia and then found itself on a shelf in Newcastle. What's wrong with local wool? Rant (almost) over.

So will Pyrenean wool be available, or like in the UK do we just want standard synthetic stuff with no character?

No comments: